Glenluce Golf Course with North West Castle
Glenluce Golf Course, commonly know as the 'County' - is one of the most popular holiday golf courses in the area, an 18-hole, true links course situated on the shores of Luce Bay and is renowned for its friendly welcome to visitors.
The excellent condition of the course, combined with subtly sloping greens and changing sea breezes, provide a test of golf for both high and low handicappers.
Glenluce golf course course lies on the shores of the scenic Luce Bay and on a clear day, looking South over Luce Bay, the Isle of Man is clearly visible. With South West Scotland enjoying a temperate climate, golfing is possible all year round. The course is slightly over 6000 yards and is a test for both high and low handicap players, due to the differing directions of the sea breezes.
The Course is also playable, on normal greens, throughout the winter. On average, frost greens may be used 8 or 9 times each year, with snow being a rare occurrence.
There is also a practice area of over 4 acres adjacent to the Clubhouse.
History of Glenluce Golf Course
- A 9 hole course was constructed on 65 acres of land in March 1894 and opened 4 weeks later!
- The original Clubhouse was an old tennis pavilion.
- The 9 hole course was purchased from the Department of Agricultural for Scotland in 1966 for £2,000.
- In 1978 a further 45 acres of land was purchased.
- Mr W. Gordon Cunningham designed the 'new' 9 holes and officially opened the course on 30th May 1987.